Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Detroit Women in Digital August Meet Up

I went to Detroit Women in Digital and it was my pleasure to have a chance to talk to Sally Medina who is the Automotive Account Executive at Amazon. She shared her experience in interviewing with Amazon and shared some insider tips on resumes, recruitment which I wrote them down as important notes:
  • always 1-page resume although you have more than 10-year working experiences
  • ask people what they do every day about the jobs you're interested in instead of only checking their online job descriptions
  • no picture on your resume, please
  • immediate email or a hand-written thank you card is always welcomed
  • references are important
  • You can never be over-educated or over-dressed (my favoriteđź’“) 
  • Please give your questions back to the company you're interested in        
After her lecture, I had a chance to talk to her. I asked her a question which has been on my mind for a while "Is Amazon trying to purchase the whole world??" Sally couldn't stop laughing about this question, she said: "you know, as an employee at Amazon, we don't even know what happened until we read the news or heard the news from our families, there's no announcement from Amazon officially."

And then she shared her tips about how to balance her career and family. She told me that she had to work insanely to prove herself in Digital Marketing Area and I could totally understand her feelings since women are still struggling in a world that men rule.

I was also lucky enough to talk to Stephanie Glied - Director, Analytics at Huge. We had a really fun time talking about how Analytics run in the real auto industry and she said the comments were really funny. She couldn't stop laughing about the comments from Analytics.

When I arrived home, I received an email that Google decided not to proceed with my application at this time. Instead of feeling upset, I realize that there's a long way for me to go in the digital marketing area. And I will learn from Sally Medina to work insanely from now trying to make myself more qualified.

BTW, the weather is getting cooler and I feel really comfortable waiting for fall to come while stepping on the fallen leaves listening to the sound I step on them đź’–.

No comments:

Post a Comment